The New Google Maps


The new Google maps is rolling out, and I must say, I think it is a vast improvement.  In fact, I didn't realize how much I didn't like the original Google maps until I started using the new Google maps.

"One of the only good things with the Google maps interface is street view"













If we look at the old Google map interface we can see that the map is small.  Browsing the map isn't all that interesting.  Even if we turn on the satellite view the map doesn't do much for me.  One of the only good things with the Google maps interface is street view, but a lot can still be done with it.  When you think of Google maps you get this familiar view as if you just opened to a page in an atlas.  Your directions are off to the side like you pulled up a piece of scratch paper and figured out your route.  Don't get me wrong, the experience much more productive and fluid online compared to the the grueling task of defining your own path.    

New Google Maps with satellite view enabled 






















In other words, there wasn't much done creatively with Google maps.  It was an amazing web that has revolutionized the way we think when it comes to travel since around 2005.  Since its debut, Google has never really changed their maps interface, until now.


"The experience is very fluid and fast in Google's browsing app Chrome. "



I must say I find the new redesign of Google maps beyond refreshing.  Satellite view is my favorite way to view the new app by far, because of the way Google is redefining discovery.  After I have input my directions a grouping of places shows up across the bottom of the screen.  These are considered noteworthy places either along my route or not far from where I'm going to be.  I can get a photo tour just by clicking on an image and it pops up over the maps. If I just hover over an image a line will appear showing me where on the map the image was taken. The experience is very fluid and fast in Google's browsing app Chrome. 

One of the newest features that makes using the app extremely fun is that you can actually change the perspective of the map.  



You can now zoom in and see how high buildings are in relation to each other which might become essential and very helpful for city navigation.

Now, it may seem easy to get lost in all of this, but there is a simple button on the bottom left hand of the screen that will bring beautiful transition and the atlas like map we all know and love.


Unfortunately, the new Google maps is not available for smart phones yet and is by invitation only for the web app as of right now.  You can request an invite by visiting this link and giving Google your email.  All in all, I'm glad to see Google thinking out of their predefined map box and moving into a more integrated atmosphere.  I mean, we should be glad their innovating at all.  Whose their competition?  Bing?

0 comments: